Monday, December 7, 2020

the ribbon




as i was walking down the lane
i met a man from peru and a lady from spain
they accosted me in a civilized manner
and asked me what was inscribed on my banner

i wore a ribbon across my chest
upholding the measures i thought best
to improve the values of civilization
in every human tribe and nation

your sentiments do you credit, sir
the man from peru with a smile averred
do you find they meet with wide approval?
my name by the way, is conrad duval

mime is john smith, i replied
my knowledge of the world is wide
with it now succinctly distilled
my destiny is fulfilled

that destiny is to spread
the truth to the living and the dead
to solace those who endlessly weep
and awaken those who endlessly sleep

those who find me naively mystical
and perhaps a bit egotistical
may be assured i will never rest
and will always do my best

i awoke to a cold dawn
and realized my hearers were gone
and the man from peru and the lady from spain
were only the wind and the rain




No comments:

Post a Comment