Sunday, April 26, 2020

no bail




the mayor would not go my bail
so i am here to tell my tale
and will not let it rest
until i have done my best

roses are red, elephants are gray
everybody should have their say
flowers bloom in howling blizzards
human beings are all really lizards

violets are blue, champagne is bubbly
old philosophers faces are stubbly
if you never learn to stay out of the rain
you will get wet, again and again

grass is green, hay is yellow
my old dog sam was a jolly good fellow
he scratched the surface of the earth
and played the fool for all he was worth

noses are purple, mud is brown
every time i go to town
folks gather round and call me names
but my mama loved me all the same

old man mose is mighty rich
he carries an old curved hickory switch
the devil gave him as a gift
when mose stopped one night and gave him a lift

just a feller walking down the road
with a cat, a rattlesnake, and a toad
the rain was falling, the sky was dark
and he had to find noah’s ark

someone must give us all a ride
or we will be fit to be tied
to the tree from which old mother eve
picked an apple, i do believe

such is the substance of my verse
stranger, i ask you, which is worse
a man who will offer you a drink
or one who always stops and thinks?



No comments:

Post a Comment